Exercise. Drink. Eat. Cleanse. Sleep. REPEAT
For optimal wellness and functioning of our body, maintaining proper physical health is a prerequisite which can never be avoided. This not only promotes a healthy lifestyle but also adds on to innumerable everyday benefits that can be reaped for life-time.
Physical wellness encourages an individual to embrace healthy habits. It helps one recognize the need for choosing a physically active routine over a lethargic one; opting for a nutritious diet over junk; plumping for adequate hours of sleep over erratic and less sleeping hours.
Choose a Physically Active Routine Over Lethargy:
Adopting a few lifestyle changes can help you ward off the risk of encountering early signs of aging and lifestyle diseases such as obesity, diabetes, heart stroke, anxiety/depression etc.
- Use stairs over escalators and lifts.
- Log your steps, try to walk at least 8,000 steps a day
- Maintain a proper posture while working, driving and even walking.
- Avoid sitting for long hours, take a short 5-minute break every 45 minutes. Drink, stretch, deep breathe and relax
- Exercise at least 3 days a week for a minimum of 15 minutes
- Prefer outdoor games over mobile or video games.
Opt for Nutrition Over Junk and Convenience Food:
Junk food may have a lot of taste value, just enough to stimulate our tongue and start off those hunger pangs; but it has almost no nutritional value that is required by our bodies. It instead burdens our stomach, gall bladder and the intestine only to cause us stomach aches, constipation, an increased weight and a high Body Mass Index (BMI) in lieu of the favour we offered our taste buds.
Our body needs a balanced diet which is a proper amalgamation of a set quantity of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals and roughage. An abrupt increase in any of the aforementioned nutrients can take a toll on our active living.
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Do not skip breakfast.
- Adhere to the old anecdote; Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and supper like a pauper!
- Eat smaller but more frequent meals.
- Finish your dinner at least 2 hours before sleep-time.
- Avoid refrigerated, stored and processed food.
- Have a healthy snack between long work hours to avoid binge eating.
- Moderate the use of sugar, salt and oils.
- Substitute alcohol and caffeine with water.
- Abstain from both active and passive smoking.
Plump for Adequate Hours of Sleep Over Erratic and Less Sleeping Hours:
Early to bed and early to rise does take care of our overall wellness. Sleep quality is not only determined by the duration of sleep but also by the way you’ve slept. Try to sleep right, at the correct time, in the correct posture and on the right mattress.
- Set up a sleeping schedule.
- Sleep for the right number of hours.
- Do not use your smartphones, tabs or laptops just before sleeping instead, close your eyes and relax before you dose off to your world of dreams.
- Maintain an accurate sleeping posture.
- Sleep on a mattress that supports your spine.
- Avoid high pillows.
Adopting a healthy schedule might feel cumbersome initially, but a constant effort shall leave you with uncountable benefits. A physically active and fit person is more punctual; has better willpower, self-esteem and confidence level; and a lower probability of encountering illness, injury and fatigue. He has a better idea and vision of the way he intends to direct his life.
Start enjoying walking that extra mile with a smile…